Sunday, November 13, 2005

"He speaks about faith in a way that even a nonbeliever can embrace."

i know this is not exactly on topic, but Bono talking about scripture I found interesting, and somewhat familiar to our discussions on how the reading of the text changes for us.

"I want to build my house on a rock, because even if the waters are not high around the house, I'm going to bring back a storm. I have that in me."



check out this excerpt.

I will be purchasing this issue as soon as possible. This is a man I want playing on my team. The fact that he is not perfect is what makes him so compelling.

2 comments:

Christina said...

"He speaks about faith in a way that even a nonbeliever can embrace." is what the author/interviewer said and i think it is absolutely appropriate. it is what i strive for -- that kind of integrity and transparency in my life and conversation. in this way, (as well as through bono's commitment to caring for widows and orphans etc.) i think that he is a very good image of christ-likeness. additionally, i think bono is most extraordinarily relevant to his audience, whether they be american consumers, or africans suffering from aids. so much to learn.

Eric Orozco said...

Yeah, I appreciate Bono's integrity. My friend Brian (in Jerusalem) pointed me to this magnificent interview:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/interviews/2005/bono-0805.html

I told Brian that Bono's comments about the "unreasonableness" of grace sure remind me a lot of David Flusser's:

"Jesus' concept of the righteousness of God...is incommensurable with reason. Man cannot measure it, but he can grasp it. It leads to the preaching of the kingdom in which the last will be first, and the first last. It leads also from the Sermon on the Mount to Golgotha where the just man dies a criminal's death. It is at once profoundly moral, and yet beyond good and evil. In this paradoxical scheme, all the "important," customary virtues, and the well-knit personality, worldly dignity, and the proud insistence upon the formal fulfillment of the law, are fragmentary and empty. Socrates questioned the intellectual side of man. Jesus questioned the moral. Both were executed. Can this be mere chance?"

Grace over Karma...It is one of those striking differences between Christ's preaching of the Kingdom and that of the Rabbis.